First Grade Teacher Marilee Smith Earns National Board Certification

First grade teacher Marilee Smith earns National Board Certification

Barnes Butte Elementary teacher Marilee Smith is surrounded by her family and CCSD Superintendent Dr. Sara Johnson and BBE Principal Jim Bates.

The Barnes Butte Elementary teacher was honored during Monday, Jan. 13 board meeting

Barnes Butte Elementary first grade teacher Marilee Smith earned National Board Certification and was recognized during the Crook County School District Board meeting Monday evening, Jan. 13.

Barnes Butte Elementary Principal Jim Bates said the certification process is really deep work, and he is proud of Smith’s accomplishment.

“A candidate engages in constant reflection as to the why, the how,” he said. “The National Board Certification Council expects that you get back to the core of all you do.”

According to the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, National Board Certification was designed to develop, retain and recognize accomplished teachers and to generate ongoing improvement in schools nationwide. It is the most respected professional certification available in K-12 education.

Crook County School District Superintendent Sara Johnson presented Smith with a plaque during the board meeting. Smith also received a National Board Certification lapel pin, sterling emblem, bumper sticker, and business cards with the distinction.

In addition to a nudge from her husband, CCSD Curriculum and Special Programs Director Stacy Smith, who told her it would make her a better teacher, she chose to certify because she always thinks of her own two children and wants them to receive the best possible instruction and education possible.

“I wanted to be the best version of myself for my students,” she said.

Smith started the certification process three years ago. Last year, she submitted her third component in May and then took the comprehensive test in June. Scores were released in December.

“It was a long time to wait to see if I certified,” Smith exclaimed.

The certification has four components.

“Each component is quite lofty. It felt like four master’s programs,” she said.

“This process strips you to the core and asks that you scrutinize every aspect of your teaching,” she explained. “I had to ask why? I had to become clear and concise about what I do and why. I had to spend a great deal of time reflecting and acting on this reflection.”

The five core principles of National Board Certification include: teachers are committed to students and their learning; teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students; teachers are responsible for managing student learning; teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience; and teachers are members of learning communities.

These principles are evaluated in each of the four components.

“National Board has helped me make this my core belief and continuous cycle of reflection and teaching,” Smith said.

She began her teaching career in the fall of 1992 in Roseburg. She then taught four years in Redmond before starting at Crook County School District in the fall of 1998. She has taught kindergarten, first and second grade, but mostly first grade.

She said getting certified was an intense process.

“I might have dropped out, but I didn’t want my boys see me quit something that was hard,” she said. “I love my career, job, kiddos and community. I want to make all proud and be the best teacher I can be!”